Inequality and violence against Women
Inequality and violence against women is a serious issue in the world currently. Women are considered lower than men, the inequality is everywhere from commercial to basic rights. In certain countries women are not allowed to do certain tasks just because they are women. There is a lot of violence to go with the inequality against women. Types of violence include domestic violence, abusive relationships, rape and many more. Women should be considered as equals and not as inferiors to men then and only then we would be able to make the world a better place.
10 EXTREME EXAMPLES OF GENDER INEQUALITY
This article is about the current situations in some middle eastern countries’s inequality against women. Some of the inequalities include very basic right of education, driving, traveling, and even citizenship. It is truly sad that women in these countries have to deal with male dominance and have no say in anything.
This article relates to my theme inequality and violence against women because it shows what happens to women in some countries and how they are treated different than their male counterparts. This leads to violence against women as well because the law does not protect their rights but in fact makes them the culprit even though they are victims of the violence.
IRIS CHANG: THE RAPE OF NANKING
This is a documentary/film on the events in Nanking during WW2. The invading japanese soldiers killed and raped 300,000 chinese women in matter of weeks which is horrifying. One of the british journalist present during this horrifying tragedy had compared the japanese soldiers to attila and the huns, which were infamous for razing cities they conquered in horrifying ways.
This documentary/film relates to my topic because it tells the story of this horrifying violence against women through the perspective of a witness who witnessed the event. Women have had to face very disturbing violence during wars, from the ancient times to even today. The violence against women doesn’t seem to go away.
PANTENE COMMERCIAL LABELS AGAINST WOMEN
In this commercial for pantene they show how women are discriminated against and judged differently than men. If a man is up all night than he is considered dedicated however if a woman is up all night than she is considered selfish. Women are labeled because they do things that men do. If they dress up nicely it is called showoff.
This commercial relates to my theme because they show how the world discriminates against women. It also shows how inequality makes it difficult for women to be as successful as other men. They are discouraged by the society to do things the way men do
All media are constructions
- Each picture in the article was carefully chosen to represent demonstrate their point on inequality against women.
- The words in the commercial are also cleverly thought of, as well as the location to get their message across.
The media construct reality
- The commercial sends the message that when women do things that men do they are heavily criticized. For instance if a woman is the boss she is called “bossy”.
- The article creates an image for the countries mentioned in the article and that the countries are the worst places for women because of all these restrictions.
Audience negotiate meaning in the media
Dominant- Women deserve the treatment they are getting. They should look after their family and children and stay at home. They shouldn’t be allowed to go out.
Oppositional- Women do not deserve to be treated like property. They should be allowed to do whatever they want. They should e considered equal to men.
Negotiate- Suppression of women is nothing new it has existed for centuries, however this doesn’t justify treating them badly.
Media have commercial implications
- In the article there are lots of advertisements beside the main body text. That is how the author and/or the company generates revenue, thus also promoting certain products.
- The commercial at the end shows pantene logo which shows their support for womens rights which makes them popular among st women which makes them more likely to but pantene products.
Media contain ideological and value messages
- The documentary sheds light on how badly the women were treated by the Japanese army. It tells us that we should not let the that kind of event to happen again.
- In the article it shows how women are considered to be of no value in some contries. Which is not what should be acceptable.
Media have social and political implications
- The commercial sends a message that women are strong and that they will rise above all the suppression by society.
- The article tells us about the current political issues in some of the countries where they are not represented in the government, they are not protected by the laws of the countries. The laws only protect the male population.
Form and content are closely related in the media
- In a documentary there is a narrator who narrates the story, there are experts who share their insights on the issue. Whereas in an article there are pictures to grab peoples attention and long paragraphs on the issue. Therefore different form show the content differently.
Each medium has a unique aesthetic form
- The documentary has a narrator
- The commercial has bunch of logos at the end.
- The article has stats and facts on the issue they are reporting on.